Friday, April 8, 2011

Design Phase

I  had worked on the old sauna off and on for 20 years.  I was turning 60.  60 + 20 = 80.  I decided to set a goal of building a new sauna, and taking a sauna in it, within one year of the date of the fire.

The first decision was whether to again use on-site white spruce or to haul in materials.  I chose SIP panels (structural insulated panels), which have a very high R value, and construct quickly.  

I did the design myself.  Because I wanted two levels of benches for sitting at different heat levels, I chose the same design shape as the cabin:

I located suppliers on the internet and found what dimensions the panels came in.  I then drew up some simple plans on the computer to use in getting quotes.  Here they are:






These plans were then used to get quotes and purchase and ship the panels.

























No comments:

Post a Comment